Every year on March 14th, Pi lovers around the world celebrate Pi Day. Yes, I’m spelling Pi right. Pi, a mathematical number and term, is typically immortalized on Pi Day through various pizza pies and many, many, many dessert pies. This year I’ve joined in on the fun, and have created a pie to honor both Pi Day and the Girl Scout’s Birthday (March 12). If you love the Girl Scouts Adventurefuls cookie, then you’re going to love my Caramel Crème and Brownie Pie.
The ingredients for my Caramel Crème and Brownie Pie come straight from the flavors of the Adventurefuls cookie. To make this pie you will need several ingredients, some which include brownie mix, caramel, milk chocolate chips and whipping cream. The ingredient list may be long, but I promise you that you will love this pie.
While you’re gathering your ingredients, you’ll also want to grab a few kitchen tools and gadgets. You’ll need a 9 inch pie pan, a stand mixer or hand mixer, various measuring cups, and a pan to bake the brownies in. Once you have everything you need, then it’s time to start baking.
Making a Pie, Step by Step
This Caramel Creme and Brownie Pie is definitely a step-by-step process. You’ll want to make sure you do things in order so that you can build your pie as you go. First, you need to bake the brownies according to the instructions on the box. I used the Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Family Sized Brownie mix, but you can use any brand you’d like. Once the brownies are in the oven, you’ll want to start on your milk chocolate ganache and your caramel crème filling.
The caramel crème filling is pretty easy to make. You’ll start by whipping your whipping cream until stiff peaks are created, and from there you’ll continue to build. Once the cream cheese, caramel sauce, salt, and caramel extract a mixed together (with a bit of extra whipping cream), you’ll fold that mixture in with the whipped whipping cream. This caramel crème is super light and fluffy. It has the definite taste of caramel with the hints of tang from the cream cheese and the slight saltiness from the sea salt.
The milk chocolate ganache is easy to make, too. Given that I’m a stay-at-home, I wanted something quick and easy to prepare. I made a quick microwave ganache rather than making it on the stove. In just less than two minutes my heavy cream and milk chocolate chips were completely transformed into a silky, smooth chocolate ganache. And literally all that I did was to combine the two ingredients in a glass measuring cup, nuke it and mix it. So easy!
Building Your Brownie Pie
Building the brownie pie is the last step. First, take your pie pan and grease it up with butter. Then, take your cooled, baked brownies and break them into pieces. Place the broken pieces into the pie pan. Press down on the brownie pieces, forming them into a pie crust. After you’ve done that, you’ll want to coat the crust with your milk chocolate ganache.
Once the brownie pie crust and the milk chocolate ganache are in the pie pan, you’ll want to add your caramel crème filling. From there you’ll drizzle more of the milk chocolate ganache on top, and sprinkle the pie with chopped Caramel Bits.
Let the pie set in the fridge for six hours, or the freezer for 4 hours. When you’re ready to serve it, pull it out and slice it up. Enjoy! Happy Pi Day!
Let me know what you think of this Caramel Crème and Brownie Pie in the comments below.
Caramel Crème and Brownie Pie
- stand mixer
- mixing bowls
- glass measuring cup
- 9 in pie pan
Brownie Pie Crust
- 1 box brownie mix
- ingredients listed on the box
Milk Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Caramel Crème Filling
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temp
- 1 cup whipping cream 1/3 cup set aside
- 1 cup caramel sauce store bought is fine
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp caramel extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup Caramel Bites rough chopped, 2 tbsp set aside for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. In a mixing bowl, make the brownie batter according to the instructions on the box. Pour the batter into a baking pan, and bake according to the directions on the box.
- Once the brownies are done baking, set them aside to cool. While they are cooling, grease a pie pan with butter.
- After the brownies have cooled, break the brownies into pieces and place the broken pieces into the pie pan. Using your fingers, press the broken brownie pieces down, forming a pie crust as you go. Fill the pie pan and set the crust aside.
Milk Chocolate Ganache
- Put the milk chocolate chips and the heavy cream together into a glass measuring cup.
- Place the cup in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes. Stop every 30 seconds to stir the mixture and make sure it isn't burning.
- Once it is done, give it on more good mix, making sure that all of the chocolate is melted. Then, slowly pour the ganache into the pie pan where you already have your brownie crust. Coat all sides of the pie crust evenly. Set it aside.
Caramel Crème Filling
- Pour 2/3 cup of whipping cream into your stand mixer's bowl. Beat on medium until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cream cheese, caramel sauce, sea salt, and caramel extract. Using a hand mixer or the stand mixer, mix this combination together until it is smooth. Then add in the 1/3 cup of whipping cream that you set aside, mixing with the hand mixer as you go.
- Once the cream cheese/caramel sauce/whipping cream is mixed together, begin to add in the powdered sugar. Add it little by little until it is fully incorporated.
- On a cutting board, rough chop the 1/4 cup of Caramel Bites.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the cream cheese and caramel mixture into the whipped whipping cream. Then fold almost all of the chopped Caramel Bites, leaving approximately 2 tablespoons to use as a garnish.
- Once you have your crème filling, it's time to fill the pie. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust and spread it around evenly.
- Once the pie is filled, use the remaining ganache to drizzle on top of the pie. Sprinkle with the remaining Caramel Bites.
- Place the pie in the fridge to set for 6 hours, or the freezer for 4 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!