My husband one morning told me that he was getting kind of tired of his typical bagels and cream cheese. I said, “Challenge accepted!” I did a little creative food searching and came up with these easy, freezable spicy breakfast burritos. They’re easy to make, easy to store, and pretty tasty.
He Loves a Good Spicy Breakfast Burrito
My husband loves anything spicy. Breakfast burritos are not something we have often in our house, so I think he was pretty excited when I told him what I came up with. The beauty of a breakfast burrito is that you can modify it in just about any way to fit your own personal tastes. While I know he likes the current recipe, chances are I’ll switch up the ingredients in the future so that he doesn’t get bored. But for now, let me tell you what I used.
The ingredients that I use for these spicy breakfast burritos are pretty simple. You need low carb tortillas, eggs, ground turkey breakfast sausage. spicy cheese, salsa and spices for seasoning. If you want, you can add a diced-up jalapeno in there, too.
As you can see, I used Cabot Habanero Cheddar Cheese for the spicy cheese. However, feel free to modify with cheeses like pepperjack if you can’t find, or can’t handle, the habanero cheese.
Make Those Breakfast Burritos
This next part is easy! It’s time to make those breakfast burritos. First, start by cooking and browning your sausage. You want it to be crumbled, so break it up as it cooks. Once it’s browned, remove it from the pan and let it sit while you do the next step. Next, drain the grease from the pan. Whisk the eggs together in a bowl. Pour them into the pan and let them cook. Right before your eggs are done, add the diced jalapenos to the pan as well.
Now that your eggs are done, it’s time to get mixing. Add the sausage back into the pan. Then add the salsa and the cheese. Season with salt, pepper and ground garlic. Once all of this is done you can start to assemble the burritos.
If you’re not great at rolling a burrito, don’t worry. I used to work at Chipotle, so I like to think of myself as a burrito-rolling master. That also means I can share a few secrets with you. Here’s a few pictures to help you through the process:
Storing Your Breakfast Burritos
Once you have your burritos rolled, wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap. Make sure you wrap them pretty tight so that air can’t get in. Once each burrito is individually wrapped in plastic wrap, you can store them together in a ziploc bag in the freezer. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Reheating is really simple, too. When you’re ready to eat a burrito, simply take it out of the plastic wrap, wrap it in a paper towel, and microwave it for 3 minutes. If you’re like my husband, you’ll add hot sauce before eating! One of his favorite brands lately is Melinda’s Hot Sauce. I got him the Habanero Hot Wing Sauce one year for Christmas, and he is hooked!
If you give these a try, please make sure to let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear what you think, and what you changed to make it more “you!”
Easy Freezable Spicy Breakfast Burritos
- 16 oz turkey breakfast sausage
- 9 large eggs scrambled
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1.5 cups habanero cheese shredded
- 8 low carb tortilla shells
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray. Heat the pan over medium heat, and add the turkey sausage. Cook the sausage until it is browned and completely cooked through. As it is cooking make sure to break it into crumbles using a spatula. This will take about ten minutes.
- While your sausage is cooking, whisk your eggs together in a bowl, mixing in your spices as you whisk. Set this aside until the sausage is done.
- When the sausage is done, remove it from the pan. Lay it on a plate lined with paper towels to help absorb any of the extra grease. Set the sausage aside. Remove the excess grease from the pan.
- Heat the pan over medium heat again, and add the beaten eggs. Move the eggs around with a spatula as they cook so that they become scrambled. When the eggs are cooked about 3/4 of the way through, add the diced jalapenos. Once the eggs are done cooking turn the stove off and remove the pan from heat.
- Add the sausage back into the pan, and mix it with the eggs. Then add in the salsa, mixing it through. Lastly, add the shredded cheese. Let this cool for about 5-10 minutes before rolling it into burritos.
- Lay out your tortillas on a flat surface. On each tortilla, place 1/2 cup of the egg/sausage mixture. From here you can roll the burritos.
- Wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap. Store the wrapped burritos in a large ziploc bag in the freezer. They can be stored for up to 3 months.
- When you're ready to eat a burrito, remove it from the freezer. Remove the plastic wrap, and wrap the burrito in a paper towel. Heat in the microwave for approximately 3 minutes. Garnish with hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!
- If you can’t find habanero cheese at your local grocery store, you can substitute it with pepperjack cheese.
- Because of the nature of this recipe, you can substitute any breakfast meat for the sausage. You can even use egg whites if desired.