Easy skillet meals have been my best friend as of late. We are super busy on 3 of our 5 weeknights, and so I don’t often have time to cook like I normally would. Quick meals don’t always have to be bland and boring meals, though. This sausage, peppers and onions skillet is one of the easiest skillet meals to make. It doesn’t take much time, and it packs a lot of great flavor.
Simple Ingredients for an Easy Meal
One thing that I love about this skillet meal is that it really doesn’t require many ingredients. Here is what you’ll need:
- 1 large skillet (I used a cast iron skillet)
- Olive oil
- 1 5 pack of Italian sausage or Bratwurst…I’ve used both in the past.
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 medium to large red onion
- 1 28 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- minced garlic
- dried oregano
- lemon pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
When we make this meal, we typically eat it on a bed of rice, noodles, or on a crusty roll. It’s also great over a bed of lettuce if you’re trying to skip the extra carbs. You can top it with shredded cheese, or a dollop of sour cream. It is such a great, versatile meal.
The Easiest Part is Making the Skillet Meal
Once you’ve got all of your ingredients, go ahead and slice up both the onion and the peppers. After you’ve done that, you’ve done the hardest part of this meal! The rest is really so simple. I start by heating 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the cast iron skillet over medium heat. I place my 5 sausages in the pan to brown one side. Then I flip them over.
After the sausages have been flipped once, you add everything else to the pan. First, add the minced garlic, onions and peppers. Then pour the entire can of the diced tomatoes, juice and all, over everything in the pan. Mix it together a bit before adding all of your seasons. From there you just let it cook! I know it’s done when all sides of the sausages are browned, and the peppers, onions and tomatoes have cooked down together a bit.
Once it’s done, serve it with a side of your choice! I recommend rice with a little shredded parmesan cheese on top.
An Easy Skillet Meal Worth Remembering
I hope your family enjoys this skillet meal as much as we do! The great thing with a recipe like this one is that you can add pretty much anything that you’d normally eat with onions and peppers, and it’ll taste good. Mushrooms? Oh yeah, I can see that being amazing. Olives? My husband would say go for it.
Let me know how you like the recipe in the comments below! I’d also love to hear about anything you might have done to change it. Enjoy!
Want to get more recipes and other content from meg-flint.com straight to your inbox? Don’t forget to subscribe to my mailing list! You can also find Meg Flint on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Sausage, Peppers and Onions Easy Skillet Meal
- 1 large skillet I use cast iron but that's optional.
- 1 pack Italian Sausage or Bratwurst 5 per pack
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes in juice 28 oz
- 1 tbsp minced garlice
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Prepare your onion and bell peppers by slicing them.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the 5 sausages to the pan and brown on one side. Flip over.
- Add the peppers and onions to the skillet along with the minced garlic. Pour the can of petite diced tomatoes over everything in the skillet.
- Add all of your spices and seasoning to the skillet. Give the onions, peppers and tomatoes a mix if you'd like.
- Allow the skillet meal to cook until all sides of the sausages have browned, and until the onions, peppers and tomatoes have begun to cook down together.
- Serve warm with your favorite side, sprinkle with some cheese and enjoy!
I love sausage, peppers and onions. This will definitely be something I try!
Thanks for sharing!!
You’re welcome! I hope you love it 🙂
Pingback: 15 Affordable Ideas for Mother's Day That Mom Will Love