If you love gingerbread anything like I do, then this recipe is going to be one of your new favorites. Perfect for the holiday season, this at-home gingerbread latte is one of the best that I have had (and made) so far. So put on your coziest pajamas, sit back and enjoy!
What You Need
You really don’t need a lot of ingredients to make this amazing gingerbread latte. Other than espresso and half and half, all you need is molasses, brown sugar and ground ginger. In this recipe I used organic whole bean espresso. However, if you don’t have a grinder, don’t fret. Any pre-ground espresso or coffee will work with this recipe.
Once you have your ingredients, make sure you have the equipment needed. You’ll want to have a coffeemaker, measuring utensils, a mug and a milk frother. If you’re going to froth your half and half right in the measuring cup, make sure you use one at least a cup larger than the amount of milk needed.
Making Your Latte
Making the gingerbread latte is super easy! First, start by grinding your beans. Once your beans are ground, go ahead and set up your coffeemaker. Having the grounds in the basket and the water in the tank before doing the next steps will make your latte-making experience so much easier.
Next, get your mug. I recommend using a mug that is at least 12 ounces in size. In the bottom of the mug put 1 tablespoon of molasses. Next, put in 1 tablespoon of packed brown sugar. Lastly, sprinkle in the ground ginger. I didn’t measure my ginger, but I’m guessing I used around 1.5 tsp. Use as little or as much as you like. It really just depends on how “spicy” you want your drink to be. Mix these ingredients together as best as you can. Some of the mixture will stick to the spoon. Set that spoon aside on a clean surface. You’ll need it again soon.
For your next step, brew the espresso! I have a single-cup setting on my coffeemaker, so I brewed the espresso directly into the mug. While the espresso is brewing, heat up your half and half. You’ll need 3/4 cup of half and half. I heat it directly in the microwave. No shame here! I’m a busy mom, and so sometimes it’s just easier and quicker to heat it that way. Microwave on high for at least two minutes.
Remember that spoon with all of the molasses goodness that you set to the side? Grab that and mix up the espresso-molasses mixture in the mug. Then, it’s time to get to frothing! Froth that hot half and half. You’re almost done!
Enjoy That Drink…You Deserve It!
Pour that frothed milk into your espresso and you are done! No need for fancy latte art unless you want to give it a try. If you’re feeling a little on the sweet side, top your latte with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.
This latte is definitely one that I will enjoy at all times of the year, but it has most certainly become a holiday favorite. Let me know in the comments if you liked it!
- coffeemaker/espresso maker
- Milk frother
- 4 tbsp espresso beans ground
- 6 oz water
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger more or less to taste
- 3/4 cup half and half
- whipped topping optional
- cinnamon optional
- Grind the espresso beans if you're not using pre-ground espresso. Empty the ground espresso into the basket of the coffeemaker. Put the water into the tank and have your machine ready to go.
- In the bottom of the mug, put 1 tbsp of molasses. Then add the brown sugar and ground ginger. Mix together and set the spoon to the side on a clean surface. The spoon will have molasses and brown sugar stuck to it that you'll need later.
- Brew your espresso. While the espresso is brewing, heat your half and half in a microwave safe measuring cup or dish in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- When the espresso is done brewing, pour it into the mug. Mix the espresso and molasses mixture with the spoon you set aside earlier.
- Froth the heated half and half. Pour the frothed half and half into the mug.
- Top with whipped topping and sprinkle with cinnamon if you'd like. Enjoy!
Don’t forget…you can find other recipes like this one on my blog. Give me a follow over on TikTok and Instagram for other exclusive content!